Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The March Food experiment

I'm a homebody. I want for nothing but to roam around the house and garden, working on this and that, all day long.  The only downside to this is the pay. Um, there is none.  So, as I decide that I have burned out on my current business and want to switch to full time farmer, I have to do some quick thinking to figure out how I will pay my share of the living expenses here.  If I can justify the (initial) loss of income to myself, I will feel better about jumping ship.

The first thing to do, of course, is to look at our expenses and where we can cut them. I have already done that and am on the wall about disconnecting the cable (I do love me some tv), and have moved on to our grocery bill.  I used to know exactly what I spent on groceries each month, but in the past 2 years I've just been buying without noticing the cost.  So I was SHOCKED when I calculated that we spend $800-1000 a month on groceries!  FAIL!

This month I am tracking every penny, every meal, every left over.  I will be the only one buying groceries, planning and cooking the meals.  I am going to see just how cheaply I can feed our family of 5 by cooking from scratch with whole, local, homegrown and organic foods.  Not in every case, of course, but primarily.  I will also consider what I am paying for items that I could be growing myself, if I was a full-time farmer.

Hopefully, by the end of the month, I can be inspired and confident enough to follow my heart.  I think I can. I think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment