Sunday, August 28, 2011

Weekend Review



This is my latest obsession (besides the curry zucchini soup), Sassy water.  I first heard of it over at Sprout 'n' Wings Farm, where Michaele raved about it. The original version includes lemon and cucumber slices, mint and grated ginger. I leave out the mint and use extra ginger. This recipe has taken me from someone who could go all day without drinking any water (bad) to someone who is craving it and drinking a quart and a half a day! (good)  You gotta try it!





In the greenhouse I have PEPPERS! Total fail last year, so this year I have left them in there for the whole growing season and am getting a good crop of jalepenos and red bells. Yay!


The pumpkins are starting to turn orange! My biggest producing vine, so far, is this one that volunteered under my orange tree! Isn't that always the case. The volunteers, they just know when it's time.  The Marina di Chioggias are catching up quickly, though! (that's them creeping all around the sunflowers below)


And what's this? That's right, Valencia Melons!!! I count 5 so far and my other heirloom melons have lots of flowers on them. This is the most exciting thing EVER!



Big red cabbage, all stripped down and ready to be part of dinner tomorrow. This is about the size of a kid's head!  Feed me Seymour!







The sunflowers are booming!  This doesn't look spectacular here, but it is about 10 x 5 feet of pumpkins and sunflowers. Next year, bigger!







I know I write about my beloved Pink Pearl Apple tree all the time, but come on! This tree was just planted in the Spring and look at all those apples! Note the beehive in the background? I swear by the bees for upping production around here!






And look at that gorgeous pink flesh!! (The apple's, not mine)





  This little piggy is getting HUGE! I keep looking at the crate we brought her home and and she has easily doubled in size




And my Polish rooster, Elvis Jr, made a huge drop in the food chain this week when he attacked me while I was changing his water.
Elvis, it's what for dinner!


One of the artichokes pitched into the compost bloomed. So pretty!

And the Tomatillos are in! Time for John's famous salsa!


The artichokes are super happy here!
  They live near the Richmond Green Apple and Japanese cucumbers.




Seed saving...


The Black Copper Marans are laying like crazy. Such beautiful eggs and they are getting bigger and darker every day!
 The three Ancona ducklings I hatched are big now. And, I am 99% sure that I have 1 male and 2 females!  So exciting, since they are endangered.


While it seems 3 of my 7 Mille Fleur Leghorns are roosters! Boo!



I love the bees!  Look at them, so hard at work!
And my fall crops are ready to leave the greenhouse!

How does your garden grow?

5 comments:

  1. I think we are kindred spirits. Glad to hear someone else likes the sassy water. So good and good for you. I love ginger : ) My pumpkins have started to turn orange like yours. We are getting a few tomatillos along also. I have never seen anyone grow artichokes - amazing! I am trying to save seeds, but haven't figured out how to do lettuce seeds yet. Hope I am not too late. Your garden looks wonderful. Love that cucumber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to try the sassy water tomorrow. I love checking in on your farm sister, you are rocking it out! I am so jealous of your Valencia melons! The deer got to my watermelons and musk melons, but se la vie. And as always, I too am in awe and total envy over your pink pearl, but this isn't the first time I've drooled over your pretty tree. All in all, everything looks great, and I like the idea of using the ice cube trays for starts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michaele, Kindred indeed! The next town over is Castroville, artichoke capital of the world! Ours are small and not so meaty, but really good! Let the lettuce bolt. It takes a long time to get to seed. Just wait for them to plump up and start to dry. Then you can pluck them and finish drying. (ps-I have lots of a really prolific Lacinto kale to share if you want some seeds, let me know)
    Mary, Welll, did you try it? Love it? There are worse things to be addicted to for sure! :-) You have the same weather as us. Try Valencia next year. I may even have seeds to send you. I'll use a hoop house next time for better results, but I think I'm going to get a few. I look forward to seeing YOUR Dave Wilson Pink Pearl tree next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am drinking the sassy water right now, and it's soooooo good and thirst-quenching after a few hours out in the hot sun in the garden. Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I am seriously thinking about sending for my pink pearl, but I am waiting for a little bump of $ for the shipment of goods. I am no longer concerned with the deer, but I have a gopher situation on my hands now. Anyways, I am loving these warm, sunny afternoons, even though I am excited that autumn is on it's way...my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous garden! So many beautiful and tasty things.

    ReplyDelete